The 2020 Kalamazoo College baseball team is scheduled to begin its season on Thursday, Feb. 27 when it travels to Whittier, Calif. for its first of four games in the Los Angeles area. The Hornets' schedule features a mix of 15 non-conference games in February and March, including trips to California and Arizona, before beginning MIAA competition at the end of March. The Kalamazoo roster has 28 returning members, including four seniors, and three true freshmen.
- The Hornets will open their season with four games against Whittier and Caltech in California.
- Following a three-game series at Earlham, the team heads to Tucson, Ariz. to play eight games during the seven-day trip.
- Kalamazoo hosts Calvin on Friday, March 27 for its home and MIAA opener.
- Senior Day is scheduled for Saturday, May 2 when the team hosts Adrian for a doubleheader.
- The MIAA Tournament is set to begin on Wednesday, May 6 and conclude on Friday, May 8.
Returning Statistical Leaders
- The team returns three of its top five hitters from 2019 including Chase Coselman who led Kalamazoo with 46 hits, 11 doubles, and two home runs a year ago.
- Sophomore Noah Hecht returns following a freshman campaign in which he tallied 37 hits and a team-high 30 RBI.
- Jack Brockhaus comes back after a freshman season in which he earned All-MIAA Second Team recognition after posting a 2.59 ERA while throwing 41.2 innings and striking out 48 batters.
- Two-way player Doug Propson returns as the primary closer and third baseman after striking out 23 hitters in 17.1 innings and allowing just six earned runs.
- Senior Jack Tagget brings back leadership in the rotation as he has made 35 career appearances including 14 starts.
- Also returning to the starting pitching rotation is Parker Sisovsky who was second on the team as a freshman with 42.1 innings pitched in 2019 while posting a 3.61 ERA.
Head Coach Mike Ott
Coach Ott is set to begin his 8th season as the head coach of the Hornets. Under Ott, the Kalamazoo baseball program has posted four 20-win seasons including a program-best 31 wins in 2017. There have been 20 All-MIAA honorees since Ott took over the program in 2013 including current Pitching Coach Ryan Orr who was named MIAA Pitcher of the Year in 2017. Ott has led the Hornets to its first NCAA Regional appearance in 2016. Off the field, Kalamazoo has earned local and national awards for its community service during Ott's tenure and the team continues to excel in the community in working with the West Michigan Miracle League.