Volleyball Prospective Student-Athletes
KALAMAZOO VOLLEYBALL MISSION STATEMENT
To teach, through the framework of volleyball, excellence, commitment, respect of self and others, and to create success through a culture of trust.
By living the mission, players and coaches within the program will integrate both academic and athletic experiences into their full, yet uniquely individualized, Kalamazoo College experience.
THE PROFILE OF A HORNET VOLLEYBALL PLAYER
- High level of technical skill
- Academically excellent
- High School starter, difference maker
- Club experience or other sport experience
- Excellent athletic abilities (speed, power, strength)
- Excellent leadership qualities
- Meaningful experiences outside athletics and academics
Kalamazoo College Volleyball competes in the MIAA, the oldest athletic conference in Division III. Our academic reputation often overshadows the athletic pursuits, but any one of our volleyball players will tell you that our program lives the BEST principles of Hornet Athletics: Balance, Excellence, Success and Teamwork, all of which contribute to the graduate who is well-rounded and prepared to enter graduate school, the work force, and beyond.
THE RECRUITING PROCESS
At K we are committed to finding the unique of student-athlete who will be successful in our program. Often your process begins as a high school student and club player. We ask that you do your homework on Kalamazoo through the following steps:
- Go to the Kalamazoo College website and look for your academic interests, extracurricular interests in addition to your sport, and to learn about the admission process. Begin to consider where you might “fit” at Kalamazoo.
- Look into our volleyball web page for rosters, schedules, results, photos, videos, and much more about the Hornets!
- Talk with your coaches about your future as a collegiate athlete.
- Talk with your high school teachers and college counselors about the opportunities available at Kalamazoo College.
And because this is an interactive process, if you are interested in further contact, please fill out the recruiting form as completely as possible. And feel free to email Coach Hess at Jhess@kzoo.edu or call the office at 269-337-7086.
- After you are in contact with Coach, we will want to see you play, and then have you see us play.
- Work with Coach Hess to provide your playing schedule and/or online videos.
- Check your schedule for campus visit possibilities. Rising seniors often visit in the spring or summer before their senior year. During the academic year, you can schedule a visit to campus for you and your parents through our Office of Admission at 269-337-7387 (toll free within US: 877-557-9755). Visits can be personalized to include campus tour, classroom visits, informational meetings with academic and admission advisors and lastly, a meeting with the coaches and team members.
- You can then schedule an overnight visit. Overnight visits are one of the best ways to get an intimate look at the school. It's a great way to meet prospective teammates, which should help in ensuring that K is the right place for you. These are arranged through our Visit Coordinator in the Office of Admission during your senior year. If possible, try to plan it for a time when we have a home game as this will help you to best experience K's sporting and campus culture. We realize that the seasonal timetable may not work with your schedule, so overnight visits in January and February can also be very enlightening.
- Your application process and matriculation are the same as any student looking at Kalamazoo. Unless you apply Early Decision, you will have until May 1 to make your decision. However, the earlier you know, and the earlier you inform coach of your decision, the more time you will have to enjoy your Kalamazoo Experience!
- We DO NOT have letters of intent in Division III. Your acceptance of the offer of admission through your deposit to Kalamazoo College informs us of your decision.